Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Home Made Poutine

Earlier in the year I had a huge craving for poutine. My main gripe about poutine is that most places don't use real curds, instead using diced mozzarella or even worse, shredded cheese.... My second gripe is that poutine from a restaurant or chip truck is usually pretty expensive. My recipe can feed four people and be made for less than $10.

Ingredients

4-6 Yukon Gold potatoes (I prefer Russet potatoes, but this was what I had on hand)
Poutine sauce of your choice (a brown beef gravy is equally delicious)
Cheddar cheese curds (I used the Black River Cheese Company curds in this recipe but have since found that the Empire Cheese & Butter Co-op produce a higher quality, better tasting curd with more squeak)
Oil for frying (peanut preferably but vegetable oil will do)

-Slice your potatoes into 1cm square strips and soak them in cold water for 10-30 minutes.
-Rinse your potatoes and dry them well.
-Frying will be a 2 step process. Fry the potatoes for 5-6 minutes at 325°F until they are cooked through but not browned.
-Set them aside and let them cool.
-Once cool, cook at 365°F for 2-3 minutes until they are crisp and have browned.
-Top with cheddar cheese curds and the poutine sauce and serve hot.

After the 325°F blanch:


Photobucket


After the final frying:


Photobucket


Cheese curds:


Photobucket


Finished poutine:


Photobucket


In the end I was happy with the result. I would try and use a home made gravy next time because poutine sauce just doesn't have the same richness to it.

No comments: