Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Frostings By Judy

I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of sweets. I'm more of a salty snacks kind of guy. Saying that, there are a few sweets I really like, a few I've mentioned in previous posts, some remain a mystery to you all..... I can't resist a nice piece of strawberry shortcake or chocolate cake.

For my wedding we had our wedding cake baked by a baker who was new to the industry and it was wonderful. She was reasonable and the cake was delicious. For my 40th birthday Mer wanted to get her to make me a birthday cake, but, her prices had skyrocketed. My cake was going to cost over $200, YIKES! Unfortunately it was made by another baker and it wasn't very good. I like buttercream to be silky smooth and not overly sweet, the one made for us was a sugar bomb!

A couple of years ago I was introduced to Frostings by Judy on an internet forum I frequent. She was just starting her cake business, and, someone who'd had a cake made by her raved about how good it was. When we needed a cake for our son's first birthday we decided to try Judy out. We ordered a cake featuring Grover from Sesame Street who he loved at the time. Judy offered to make a smash cake for him to go along with the cake (he ended up eating the whole thing). Both were made of chocolate cake with chocolate ganache filling and vanilla buttercream crumb coat. The cake was excellent, moist and rich with an excellent chocolatey ganache layer in the middle.

We liked the cake so much we ordered a second birthday cake for our son from Judy as well (the same flavours). This time we asked for her to make a barnyard themed cake as he loves cows, sheep, horses, and pigs these days. It was amazing, we couldn't have been happier with the design and again the flavour of her cake. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend her to anyone needing a cake made.

The first birthday cake was $110 IIRC and the second birthday cake was $130, but was more involved.


No comments: